BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 29, 2008

Witnessing....


Today my neighbor lady came to the house. She brought me a sweater that was to long in the arms for her, and tracts. She is a Jehovah witness. I've known her since I was a little girl because her daughter and I were best friends from kindergarten through graduation. I know that I'm not supposed to "agree" with Jehovah witness beliefs, but I have no idea why. I'm so uneducated. I've wanted to witness to her and her daughter for a very long time, but honestly I have no idea what to say and where to start. Except for "Jesus loves you and died for you". What do I say to convince them of their need for a savior? And should I have to convince them? I know I'm too timid when it comes to this, but I'm so afraid of looking like a fool, or doing more damage than good. Know what I mean? What do I say that brings that desire in their heart to be clean? Or am I supposed to cause that desire. Is that Gods job?

Sorry for raving, but I had to get that out. Anybody want to comment, please go ahead!

I'm going to get back to making apple butter now.

Have a wonderful day! Sarah

2 comments:

Robert Sagor said...

I know what you mean, recently I had a JW lady come to our home while I was babysitting, and I felt so bad that I couldn't say anything to her and that I was just "uh uh well I don't believe that way!" :/

Whiterock said...

One of my best friends growing up, was a JW, and I have a cousin who is "studying" with them and believes what they have taught her. Here's some of what I know...

They believe that Jesus is the angel Michael, not God the Son. I could talk to you about some of the verses they used to "prove" that and why they're mistaken if you'd like (just pm me). They also believe that there is no hell, only the grave, and you have no soul that lives on after death. They say "soul" in the bible is just talking about your brain and it, being part of your body, dies when you do... unless you meet they're definition of "saved". If you are "saved" then when you die you do not go to heaven, but when the new earth is made God will download a copy of your memories/personality/etc. (not eternal soul) into another body that he will keep alive forever -this is the eternal life promised to the believer. They do not believe that Jesus' life, death, and resurection everything needed to get the believer into heaven. Only a certain number of people (144000) will get into heaven according to them (this comes from sprituallizing the future account to the 144000 actual Jewish preachers who will travel the earth in the time of the end). These 144000 are special JWs who did enough good works to earn a spot, the rest of the believers (also JWs) will live on the new earth.

I could go on but this is long enough. Like I said, if you would like to talk about their use of scripture and how they use these misinterpretations to convince people to convert, pm me and we will talk.

WR